Corporate Services › Paying Your Taxes
Payments will be accepted at any time (subject to penalties). All cheques must be payable to the Town of Penhold. Accounts paid by cheque are conditionally paid until the cheques are honored. There is a $25.00 NSF for any returned cheques. All payments are applied to arrears first and to current taxes second.
By mail to the Town of Penhold, P.O. Box 10, Penhold, Alberta Canada, T0M 1R0.
In person to the Town of Penhold, #1 Waskasoo Avenue, Penhold Regional Multiplex (2nd floor), 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday (except Statutory Holidays), by cash, debit card, credit card, cheque, or money order.
Telephone or internet banking (available at most major financial institutions).
Outside Drop Box at Town of Penhold, #1 Waskasoo Avenue, Penhold Regional Multiplex (2nd floor) (right outside the municipal office).
Postdated checks dated on or before the due date indicated on the front of the notice.
The effective date of payment, for payments mailed to the Town of Penhold, will be the date of the postmark of Canada Post. If the postmark of Canada Post is absent or illegible, the effective date of payment will be the actual date of receipt by the Town of Penhold. The imprint of a postage meter is not acceptable proof of the date of mailing.
Taxes are due June 30th of each year.
There are 3 penalty dates for taxes; July 2, August 15th & September 15th. If there is any outstanding amount on your account before these dates you will receive a 4% penatly to your tax account. The penalty dates are also found on the back of your tax notice.
It is your responsibility to ensure your payment is processed by the June 30th deadline. Be aware of your financial institution's processing times if using internet or telephone banking.
Tax Payment Plan allows an individual to pay taxes over 12 months; January to December of each year instead of the entire amount being due on June 30th. This is a great opportunity if you do not like big lump sum payments due by June 30th thus saving you from penalties by allowing you to make 12 equal payments.
How does TIPP’s work?
• In order to enroll into the Tax Payment plan you must fill out the tax payment plan form accompanied with a void cheque or direct deposit slip. Payment is taken out of your account on the 1st of each month. Your installment amount is calculated by dividing your most recent annual tax levy by 12.
• There can be NO outstanding amount on your tax account in order to register into the plan.
• TIPP automatically continues year to year unless you request to have it cancelled.
• Also note, if any payment is returned to the Town of Penhold for any reason, we reserve the right to withdraw you from the plan and the tax amount would be due on June 30th and subject to any penalties.
• If you withdraw from the payment plan after June 30th please ensure that your tax amount is paid in full at time of cancellation otherwise it will be subject to penalties immediately.
Change of Bank Information
• In the event you need to change your bank account information you MUST notify the Town of Penhold in in writing 15 days prior to the next due date.
Cancelling from the Tax Payment Plan
• If you sell your property, you must notify the Town of Penhold in writing 15 days prior to the 1st of the month to ensure that payment will not be processed through your bank account.
• If you are cancelling from the Tax payment plan after June 30th all outstanding amounts become due and payable to the Town of Penhold immediately. If amount is not paid in full at time of the cancellation your tax account will receive the applicable penalties instantaneously after withdrawing.