Application Forms/Fees

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

Development Permit Fees

Plan Amendment Fees

With all applications being submitted, please ensure you have completed the application in full and have written legibly.   Refer to the checklist to ensure required documents are provided, in addition to the required fees upon submission. Incomplete applications may not be processed.

Complete applications along with accompanying information can be submitted to or dropped off at the Town Office during regular business hours.  

Payment can be made using Option Pay or paid in person at the Town Office.  

When making your payment using Option Pay, please note that there is an administration fee associated with all applications. Please ensure you have calculated the administration fee into your permit fee total. Under the Notes, please ensure you have included your municipal address if the permit number is unknown.

Building, Plumbing, Gas & Electrical Permits are issued separate from the Town's building and development permits. Please contact IJD Inspections to apply for the required permit(s).

IJD Inspections


A development and building permit are required for the construction, addition, renovation and / or demolition of any residential property.

Building Permit Application

Development Permit Application

Building a Residential Detached Garage Tip Sheet 

Garage or Shed >100 sq ft Work Sheet

Building a Wood Deck Tip Sheet

Deck Building Worksheet

(Note: Should work have been found to have started before an application has been submitted, the permit fees will be doubled)

A permit is not required to build a fence provided it meets the following:

  • The maximum height of a fence in the back yard is 1.8 m (6 ft.);
  • The maximum height of a fence in the front yard is 1.2 m (4 ft.);
  • The fence is fully within your property lines;
  • Complementary fencing material is used;
  • Notwithstanding the above, restrictions on corner sites shall apply.

Ensure your fence is located on or within your property lines. To determine your property lines, you can use your Real Property Report to assist in locating property lines or pin finder to locate your property pins. Fences are not allowed to encroach on municipal land.  Please refer to Section 3.34 of the Land Use Bylaw 757/2018 for more information.

Please contact Alberta 1 Call at 1 800 242 3447, to locate underground utility lines.

All garage and secondary suites require a development and building permit, a site plan showing two (2) off-street parking stalls with measurements and entrance to the suite, a floor plan and measurement of the suite with each room labeled with its use, current title (less than 30 days) and fee payment.  Regulations for garage suites and secondary suites are outlined the in the Land Use Bylaw 757/2018 (Section 4.9/4.10).

The Alberta Building and Safety Codes Act has important safety requirements for secondary suites, and we recommend that you contact IJD Inspections at 403-346-6533 for more information.

A development and building permit are required for the construction, addition, renovation and/or demolition of any commercial, industrial or institutional building.  If the business is being moved to a new locations, a development permit is required if there is a change in use of the building.

Development Permit Application

Building Permit Application

A demolition permit is required to be submitted for approval for any demolition or move of a building from a site in any land use district.  The purpose of a demolition permit is to ensure that all services are disconnect prior to demolition and the site is safe during and after the demolition.

Demolition Permit Application

Most signs require a sign permit.  Please refer to the Land Use Bylaw 757/2018 (Schedule B) for sign regulations.

Sign Permit Application

Home-based businesses are where the secondary use of the principal building by the permanent resident of the dwelling is conducting business activity or an occupation.  Home-based businesses within Town are required to have a current Town of Penhold business license.  Depending on the type of work you are conducting, additional documentation may be required such as approval from Alberta Health or professional certificates and certification.

If you do not own the home where the business is operation from, a letter of authorization from the property owner will need to accompany your application.

Minor home-based business generally operates without noticeable activity from outside of the dwelling.  For example, a home office which provides professional service such as accounting. 

Business License Application 2021

Major home-based businesses where clients will be coming to your home for services and where additional traffic to the residence may be generated.  Major home-based businesses may also require a development permit in conjunction with the business license application.  This process provides notification and opportunity for adjacent landowners to express any concern they may have about the proposed business.  

Please refer to the Land Use Bylaw 757/2018 (Section 4.4/4.5) for more information about minor and major home-based businesses.

Development Application 

In addition to the development permit application, business license application and fees, please submit a parking plan that shows one (1) additional off-street parking with dimensions.

Please refer to the Town of Penhold Business License Bylaw 736/17 for more information and fee schedule.

Business licenses are valid from January 1 – December 31 with renewals of business licenses done annually if the business or service proposes to continue operating the next year. 

If you have a valid Business License in the Town of Penhold, you may promote your business for free on the business directory on the Town’s website.