Building & Development

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

Most developments require a development and /or building permit. When applying for a discretionary use, applicants are encouraged to speak to the Planning & Development department in advance to submitting their application. This will help to identify other considerations. Depending on the nature of the proposed development, an application may be referred to the Municipal Planning Commission for review, support and direction.

The Development Permit confirms that your development plan(s) meet the requirements of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw, while the Building Permit is the written approval by the Town that the building plan(s) meet the Alberta Building and Safety Codes Act. Final copies of the building specifications are forwarded to the Town’s Building and Safety Codes Officer who reviews the building permits and completes the building inspections. If you are unsure, contact the Planning and Development Department before starting any work to ensure that you have the right permit(s) in place.  

Notice of decisions issued on development permit applications are provided by the Development Officer in writing, stating terms and conditions for each development permit. Any revisions or amendments to a development permit application in which a notice of decision has already been provided by the Development Officer will require submission for a new development permit application.

(Note: Should work have been found to have started before an application has been submitted, the permit fees will be doubled)

Do I need a Building Permit?


Application & Fees

Building Permit Application

Development Permit Application

Fee Schedule

Please note that there is an administration fee associated with all applications.  If submitting payment online through option pay, please ensure you have calculated the administration fee into your permit fee total.

For more information on a proposed development, please refer to these Safety Tips Brochures as they will help you to understand when you need a permit.

Plumbing, Gas and Electrical permits are issued separate from the Town’s building and development permits. 

Please contact IJD Inspections to apply for the required permit(s).

IJD Inspections


Dransfield Inspections Services Ltd.


Dransfield Inspections conducts building inspections on behalf of the Town.  If you need to schedule an inspection for your development or have questions related directly to the building and Alberta Building code, please contact them directly. 

Additional development information: